Ukraine 2004 - Kalush
"There Won't Be An Operation."

    My name is Luba Nakonechna. I live in the Lviv province of Ukraine. I would like to tell you about a very sad and painful occurrence that happened in one family. At the end of April, 2004, their son, Vasyl, was in an automobile accident and was in very critical condition. There were four people in the car. The driver lost his life, while Vasyl was thrown out the side door. His head was badly traumatized and one leg was broken in two places. The leg needed immediate surgery but because the head was seriously injured, the operation could not be done. They had to take care of his head first. The doctors could not even say when the leg could be operated on because there was no leg specialist in that hospital. The boy would have to be transported to another hospital, but because of his bad head injuries, he could not be moved.

    This situation made me very sad. When I visited the lad in the hospital, I saw the pain he was suffering. I am also a mother and have two sons the same age as Vasyl, so I really took this to heart. I was constantly thinking of the boy, wondering how I could help him but all I could do was pray. His mother was out of the country at the time. Like many Ukrainians, she had left her children and gone abroad to earn some money in order to educate her children and try to provide a normal standard of life for them. The mother left her two boys in the care of their father and grandmother. It is very difficult to leave your children and at the same time be unable to protect them or take care of them more than they need.

    However, God sends us His angels to ease our pain and to guide us to greater faith. And so it happened with me. At the time that that young man needed assistance and relief from pain, Dr. Michael Rozeluk and his wife Helen arrived in Ukraine with their medals from Garabandal, on which Our Lady left Her kiss and through which I saw miracles happen with my own eyes. It was then, on May 8, 2004, that the Rozeluks visited the church in the city of Kalush. I found out about their visit and, together with other parishioners from my village, went to Kalush to pray and to kiss the medal. Each of us went with his own heartache and faith to ask the Mother of God for relief of their sufferings.


    It was around 6 pm when we arrived in Kalush. We could not enter the church because of the enormous number of people present. And, although the church is very large, it could not accommodate everyone who wished to be there. Thus, a great number of people were forced to remain in the church yard. We prayed at the entrance to the gates that led into the church. There were 19 in our group.

    As I was praying, my thoughts were constantly with Vasyl. I felt sorry for him and I decided that, whatever happens, I must ask if it is possible for either Helen or Michael to pray over me for him.

    The boy's father did not believe in any of this. He believed in all sorts of medicines and in doctors rather than in the power of God. I could not even convince him, at least for the sake of his child, to come and kiss the medal. This made me very sad. I was even angry with him to the point of pain in my heart, but it changed nothing. That's when I resolved to ask the Rozeluks to pray over me for Vasyl.

    I waited for my turn. It was 11:10 pm when I approached Helen and asked if it's possible to pray for this young man. Helen agreed. When she finished praying, Helen said, "You'll see, the boy will be OK."  She gave me the last medal that, by some miracle, was still left in her pocket. This medal I later passed on to that boy. By that time, they were already preparing him for an operation, although the day of surgery was not yet set.

    Several days after Kalush, on May 12, 2004, Helen and Michael Rozeluk were to visit a church in the Sykhiv neighbourhood of Lviv, the church the Pope John Paul II had visited [during his pastoral visit to Ukraine]. I very much wanted to meet them again because they were returning to Canada the following day [ED: in fact it was 2 days later]. I went with my sister-in-law and another friend in order to venerate the medal once again and to say my good-byes to Helen and Michael.

    It was that day or the following day that Vasyl was scheduled for his leg surgery. But now his mother was also there with him. So, Vasyl, felt a bit better, at least in heart if not in body.

    I entered the church, walked up to the icon of the Blessed Mother and began to pray. I lit a candle and, once again Vasyl came to mind in his hospital bed. I asked the Mother of God to have mercy on the boy and, if he was to have surgery that day, that the operation be successful.

    "But maybe," I asked Her, "You could perform a miracle, so that no operation would be necessary." The operation was to be difficult. They were to put metal pins in the bone for a period of time and then, after several months, operate once again to remove them. That meant that they would have to cut the boy twice. And so much pain to suffer! I prayed so sincerely, then I got up and left. Although I am not so strong a believer myself, but I tried and God proved to me that my unbelief was useless.

    When I came out of the church I began to worry how I would get back home. It was evening and it was far. We had come to Lviv with Vasyl's father who told us that the operation might be that day but first they would take one more x-ray. He also told us that he would stay at the hospital until the operation was over. If there was no operation, he would come back for us. But, since he didn't come back for quite a long time, we were sure that the operation was taking place. But things were not as we imagined. There is something greater than the human mind - we forgot about the power of God. A miracle happened! Just as I walked out of the church, the father of the boy arrived. My sister-in-law started asking him if they operated or not and why he came for us so late. He got out of his car and said  that there was no operation and would be no operation because, when the second x-ray was checked, it became clear that the bones were healing very well by themselves. All the doctor did was put a cast on Vasyl's leg!

    A month later, Vasyl returned home, healthy and happy. Now he tells everyone that the medal he received saved him at this critical time.

    I am sincerely grateful to the Blessed Mother of God for this enormous miracle of healing, for strengthening my faith and for bringing so many people back to a normal life and back to their faith. Amen.

Luba Nakonechna
February, 2005